DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH
The Department of English has grown in stature over the years since its inception in 2015. The English Department reaches out to every other department in the college, awakening students to the beauty of English Language and honing their creative and communicative skills.
- To enhance student’s ability in critical thinking and in analyzing literary expression.
- To equip them for career opportunities with good communicative English.
- To attract, nurture and support students of the highest as well as of low caliber to strengthen their ability
- To prepare them for higher education
- To train them to communicate well in English.
ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT
- The English Department conducts inter and intra departmental competitions every year in their association named MNEMOSYNE.
- A One Day Inter - Collegiate workshop on Journalism - with Emphasis on Print, Broadcast and online Journalism was conducted on 28th August, 2018. The Resource Person of the day was Mr. Watson Solomon, Independent Communication Consultant.
- A Guest lecture on Film and Literature was organized on 13th March, 2018 to impart practical knowledge on various techniques used in Films. Mr.P.Sitharthan, Assistant Professor, Presidency College was the resource person.
- One Day Inter – Collegiate Workshop on Theatre on 4th August, 2017. The Resource Person was Dr. David Wesley, Assistant Professor, Madras Christian College
- A visit to American library was organized for the students on 27/06/2017 and 29/06/2018.
- On 1st October, 2015 a Guest Lecture was organized by the Department on the topic Social History of England.Dr. Padmaja Ashok, Retired Professor, Department of English, Ethiraj College for Women was the resource person.
- In collaboration with CLF the Department has conducted various events like Storytelling, Essay writing, Debates and Workshops every year.
- The Department has also taken an initiative this year to conduct Certificate course on Proof Reading to impart additional technical skills.
- The Department has professional body linkage with ELT@I. It provides an opportunity for our faculty members to have an interaction with ELT professionals in India and abroad.