DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH
The Department of English has grown in stature over the years since its inception in 2015. The English Department reaches out to every other department in the college, awakening students to the beauty of English Language and honing their creative and communicative skills.
- To enhance student’s ability in critical thinking and in analyzing literary expression.
- To equip them for career opportunities with good communicative English.
- To attract, nurture and support students of the highest as well as of low caliber to strengthen their ability
- To prepare them for higher education
- To train them to communicate well in English.
ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT
- In collaboration with CLF the Department has conducted various events like Storytelling, Essay writing, Debates and Workshops every year.
- The Department has also taken an initiative this year to conduct Certificate course on Proof Reading to impart additional technical skills.
- The English Department conducts inter and intra departmental competitions every year in their association named MNEMOSYNE.
- A visit to American library was organized for the students on 27/06/2017 and 29/06/2018.
- On 1st October, 2015 a Guest Lecture was organized by the Department on the topic Social History of England.Dr. Padmaja Ashok, Retired Professor, Department of English, Ethiraj College for Women was the resource person.
- The inception of the club Mnemosyne initiated by our respected Madam Principal Dr. Revathi. Events like Literary quiz and drama were conducted amid the event.
- The department followed the venture, Mnemosyne to the next level by conducting various literary activities for the students from various streams.
- One Day Inter – Collegiate Workshop on Theatre on 4th August, 2017. The Resource Person was Dr. David Wesley, Assistant Professor, Madras Christian College.
- A Guest lecture on Film and Literature was organized on 13th March, 2018 to impart practical knowledge on various techniques used in Films. Mr.P.Sitharthan, Assistant Professor, Presidency College was the resource person.
- A step ahead for the club Mnemosyne during the year 2017-18 by conducting various competitions and encouraged students to take part actively. The event was a resounding success.
- A One Day Inter - Collegiate workshop on Journalism - with Emphasis on Print, Broadcast and online Journalism was conducted on 28th August, 2018. The Resource Person of the day was Mr. Watson Solomon, Independent Communication Consultant.
- The department under the club Mnemosyne conducted an Inter- Intra departmental competitions like Poetry painting, Spell bee, Literary Parade , Readers Thetre were conducted.
- The Department of English conducted a Guest Lecture on 'Myth and Literature' on 16.07.2019, delivered by Ms. Dhanya Praveen Kumar, Assistant Professor, KRMMC, Chennai.
- An Inter-Collegiate Workshop on "Essentials of Oral and Written Communication Skills" was held on 20.09.2019. The resource person was Dr.A. Yuvaraj, Assistant Professor, Govt. Thirumagal Mills College, Vellore.
- The Department of English conducted “Mnemosyne 2019-2020" on 18th and 19th December 2019. The events were chaired by Dr. Archana M. Sardana, Head, Department of English, Anna Adarsh College for Women and Ms. Meera Sitharaman, a renowned theater personality.
- The Department also conducted Inter Departmental activities, the students of various departments actively took part in ‘Channel Surfing’, ‘Adzap’, ‘Extempore’ and ‘Voice over’. They won many awards, adding pride to their respective departments.The events were judged by Dr. M. Sandhya and Dr. Sadana Armstrong of Queen Mary’s College.